Tuesday 8 January 2013

Hmm. AlanArt. What's all that about then?

My name is Alan, and I'm a painter. This blog is going to be a hotch-potch of home-spun art criticism, shameless self-promotion and, for want of a better phrase, tales of the river bank. Painting never exists in isolation, and mine is founded on my relationship with other art and the landscape in which I find myself, so the three themes will intermingle and blur. I thought I'd start simply by showing where I live: Runnymede, a world famous water-meadow on the Thames with an ancient woodland rising above it, home to one of the most important pieces of paper of the last thousand years, the Magna Carta. A couple of weeks before Christmas, before the rain, there was one of the finest hoar frosts I've ever seen. It is in this photo.

My relationship with this place deepens year on year. The ebb and flow of seasons is pronounced here. It is as harsh and haunting as anywhere in the south-east during winter, but a paradise come summer.

Welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment