Sunday 17 February 2013

Big Day Out

I made it to London today and have just got in. I will write properly about Ice Age Art and Giorgio Morandi once I've gathered my thoughts, but here are some quick conclusions.

1 The Estorick Collection, though charming, is unnecessarily cruel. £5 ticket price, £8 minimum spend on cards. Fortunately its only a couple of minutes walk to an ATM. Still, if you're on your own, take cash, or get some from near the tube station.

2 Still not a fan of London!

3 If you're going to Ice Age don't let half term put you off as they limit numbers. This does mean booking in advance is a very good idea.

4 I don't like being in a train carriage crammed to bursting with Chelsea fans - especially not the ones who are drinking at 10 on a Sunday morning.

5 I wandered through the Impressionists looking for Friedrich at the National - egad! Degas understood colour! Its a while since I've seen one in the flesh - reproductions suck.

6 In the topmost rooms at Estorick are some other modern Italian pieces. You know Umberto Boccioni? The Futurist responsible for the famous bronze of a man moving? There are 3 pre-Futurist drawings there. Delicate, sensitive, rigorous yet full of life - one in particular might be best described as Whistler's Anti. It has the same pose from a different point of view but it is dancing and vibrant and intimate and dark. Apologies for the reflections on the image, I didn't take a camera and its near impossible to find online. The other one the link in the picture goes to is even more likeable.

7 Frederic Church. Where have you been all my life? The finished work leaves me cold, but the sketches... ooh

8 I have the answer to my own question about Friedrich a few weeks ago - I didn't pay attention because the example in London is numbingly mechanical and stuffed full of over blown symbolism. Still intrigued by the woodland one though - I think it's in Germany so I may never know if I like it in the flesh or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment