Sunday 15 September 2013

I've really struggled to settle down after the disruption of recent weeks but I've been out walking again and I'm beginning to think a little clearer; I think I know what's going to happen next and that's a big thing, I've been a bit directionless since I pulled everything together for the show.

The key thing is that the season is beginning to turn. Regulars here will have seen how over-excited I was about spring and that the frequency of my reports about the meadow and woods dropped dramatically when summer hit. The simple reason is the day to day changes got too subtle for me but now, well now we're heading into another time of year when the world is different every single day, as if it gets made afresh every night.


Click on the picture to make it big and you'll notice there is a lot of variation in the colour of trees now when there wasn't a couple of months ago. Round here, the Horse Chestnuts are the first to change to yellow and brown as they are plagued with fungal infections in their leaves but the other trees won't be far behind.


As an aside, the skies are still epic but there won't be many more of the soft and endless skies of summer like there was this morning; if you think the spring skies were dramatic, wait until autumn lets rip! I've been wondering and asking other people why Runnymede's skies get so spectacular; the best guess is that, although Cooper's Hill is only low and is 20 miles inland of the Thames Barrier, it's the first steep hill any wind coming up the Thames Estuary meets and that must do funny things to the air currents, which will be damp and cloudy from the North Sea or cold and dry from a trek over Northern Europe. Doesn't really matter though; when the fireworks are good who cares how they make the gunpowder!

No comments:

Post a Comment