Saturday 30 March 2013

Light, colour, texture and geography

I've been looking back through the pictures I took in Crete three years ago to find the one I wanted for tomorrow. I haven't looked at them in a while and I wasn't as immersed in my local surroundings back then. Anyway, the point is the difference in light between the two places is, is, well - like night and day. Its not a question of better and worse, just different. Went I went to St Ives I understood why so many landscape painters ended up there and it is the same principle. The angle of the sun, the amount of cloud and shape of the ground doesn't just affect colour, it affects texture too. Its even wormed its way into the people. Below are three random photos of Crete and three of Surrey. Maybe it would be more scientific to show perhaps a flower from each place as these pictures aren't directly comparable, but who gives a damn about science, this is an art blog. Grass is grass but everything else, even the sunsets, are different colours. The pictures run Crete-Surrey-Crete-Surrey etc. They were taken with the same lenses on the same digital camera and processed by the same person with the same copy of the same of the same software on the same computer - all the differences are down to geography and climate.

So enjoy these, and if anyone who lives around the Mediterranean (or the Aegean or the Black Sea or in the mountains or deep in a forest) fancies an original work of art I will happily trade a painting for board and lodgings because I really want a holiday.




No comments:

Post a Comment