Thursday 1 August 2013

Runnymede Gallery 3rd & 4th August 2013

This weekend the Runnymede Art Society has its main exhibition. Its taking place at the Runnymede Gallery (if you don't know it, it's the National Trust Lodge at the Windsor end of the meadow, opposite the tea room and next to the boat house) and is open from 11 to 4:30

From my point of view it will be interesting because it will be the first time I've seen what everyone is capable of when they're trying - a lot of the members use the meetings as a social club rather than a work space so I don't know whether I've seen people's best or not - and I'll admit to being really curious.


I held back one of my skyline paintings to put into the show. Its the one that shows the Air Forces Memorial because that's the one which has a viewpoint closest to the gallery. It'll be marked as not for sale but that's a lie - its a reflection of the fact that although the series looks very good value in a commercial gallery it would look very expensive in an amateur context - in other words, if you want just ask. Alongside it are two sound watercolour sketches which were part of my preparation for the painting so it should make a nice show-within-a-show if I can get them all hung together. There will also be some cute colour studies of evening skies (shown above) which are mounted but unframed and an excellent price - I have tried them in a simple dark wood frame and they really sing out. Venues like this are probably the only chance you'll get to buy small, loose watercolours like this by me and owning one is a really good introduction to the way I use space, light, colour and transparency.

The weather looks like it will be ideal for exploring, so if you haven't been to the mead before come along. Between the exhibition, the riverbank, the meadow, the woods, the memorials, the pleasure-boats and open buses to Windsor, the tea-room and the café it should be a nice day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment