Monday 17 June 2013

Odds and Ends and the Jesus Duck

First up, sorry for the slowdown in updates lately. There are two simple reasons: one is that I am painting my socks off and the other is that it is Elderflower season so I am very busy "preserving" those.

The painting is overwhelming at the moment - I am all a-frenzy and rapidly approaching the end of my Skylines series. 4 and 5 are done and I am just sitting on them to be sure, 6 is a couple of tweaks away and 7 should be there by the end of the week. When compositions are as simple as #6 in particular there is nowhere to hide, every colour, mark and texture has to be perfect. It is just a couple of bands of colour, one of which is 5 closely related rainy, grey greens and some half defined shapes. Apart from a 1cm thick stripe and a couple of blobs it is almost completely flat tonally as well. I keep wanting to give it more oomph but that would destroy it. I have more respect than ever for Rothko now!

A quick follow up to the piece I did about discovering Pip Seymour paints: I emailed the company with a question about permanence and within an hour I'd had a detailed reply with a lot of extra technical information, sent by Pip himself. He sent me a follow up email as well. I also made a suggestion; I don't know if they took it up or they were already intending to do it but either way, its happening. That's the wonderful thing about dealing with small companies; if I contacted Daler Rowney what chance is there of being able to talk to one of the colourmen and someone who makes decisions to get a proper insight into the range? Proper customer service, so well done to them. If anyone is around Oxfordshire next month they will apparently be at Art in Action.

And the Jesus Duck?

Here we have a duck, not floating but standing about an inch under the surface of water thats about 2 feet deep so of course, one of the neighbours has re-named it. You can't really see from the photo but I promise all its feathers are dry. I'm not going to tell you it's secret!

No comments:

Post a Comment