Saturday 1 June 2013

Back in the saddle

Well I finally did what I needed to; three complete days off, not even thinking about making pictures or about this place. I'll admit there was a little badgering away at some of this next batch of compositions and I did finally get round to sorting out some business cards but that aside I have been completely switched off. Its nice but so is immersing myself in art.

Anyway, I'm diving back in again today. I've stretched one canvas this morning and am now letting my fingertips recover before doing a second (I don't use pliers) in about two coffees time. While the size is drying then I think I'll go wandering and then get the primer out later. That means the paints come out to play again tomorrow. They'll be the next two in the skylines series, these two will show the American Bar Association memorial at night and the Runnymede hotel at dusk respectively; I'm doing them together because the palettes will be so similar. As you might gather from that the break I've had from the project whilst doing lino has given me a chance to re-evaluate the series and it has grown... the paintings won't just show different parts of the skyline in different weathers but also at different times of day and different stages of spring. The last paintings I showed here really brought it home to me that time is starting to muscle in on my paintings; I'm going to embrace it and see what happens.

Before I took my three days off, I finished the edition of my second linocut. Again there is an evolution as different parts of my practice inform each other. They are both small 10x15 cm in an edition of 12 + 1 proof and I'll get them photographed properly in-between coats of primer later. If the framer gets them done in time they will be on display at the local art society's outdoor show on Sunday 9 June at the Italian Concept Restaurant in Egham which, fittingly enough, overlooks Runnymede.

No comments:

Post a Comment