Saturday 8 June 2013

The importance of presentation

As you know I've recently spent a serious chunk of money at my local, friendly garden-shed picture framer. This week I got to see the results.


Apologies for the picture quality but the frame was in my hands for less than 5 minutes as it was delivered to me at the submission point for tomorrow's show. Each of the linocuts are framed as above and then three of my Portrait of a February series are in a substantial moulding with a contrasting slip; these are not finished yet but I saw the first one for approval before he moved onto the others.

The transformation is remarkable. The walnut frames, as good frames should, have taken some flimsy, fragile leaves of paper and made them seem substantial. The other one took a painting that walked a line between raw and unfinished. I was always slightly un-easy about which side it belonged to and the frame removes any doubt about it; its rawness has faded leaving power, charisma and life shining through. As an added bonus the canvas feels so much bigger and more solid; it feels like its worth double.

As a finishing touch I have printed some cards with my contact information and details about the piece and pasted them on the back of each frame. I have done the same for some which he has mounted but left unframed.

John, the framer, mostly services two amateur groups of which his wife is a member. Framing is his hobby rather than his business. This has two implications. Firstly, his prices are very competitive. Secondly, almost all his clients want the cheapest mouldings possible. I gather he was really chuffed to be working with better quality materials which had been chosen for how well they suit the work rather than for how much they cost; I don't know whether that gave him extra motivation or not but he has done a cracking job. When your framer says he's keeping photos of the framed work then you know its turned out well.

Anyway the point is, my work when framed is so much more impressive that it will be easier to sell and should fetch a better price. There are places you can get away with compromise, but presentation isn't one of them.

PS To see my work and John's frames come along tomorrow to the RAS show at the Italian Concept restaurant at Egham, slap in the middle of Runnymede. We'll be there from 10am until it gets too cold and dark. I'm only round the corner so if there are particular pieces you want to see I can fetch them. The postcode for your sat-nav or google maps is TW20 0AE. As of now, the weather forecast is sunny in the afternoon and sunny intervals for the rest of the day, so if you want to make an afternoon of it we can point you in the direction of the various parts of Runnymede and the Thames. Eat at the restaurant or nearby cafĂ© or bring a picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment