Wednesday 8 May 2013

Adventures in Lino

As regulars will know I am experimenting with linocuts. A few days ago I finally got round to making my first proofs and, although I will not be showing them here, they are hugely encouraging. I really like both the feel of the process and the graphic quality the work has. An unexpected benefit is that because the tools want to go in a straight line my slight tremor effectively disappears. Anyway, now that I think the first three skyline/landmark paintings are done (I won't be sure for a day or two yet) I'll take a couple of weeks off from painting to keep myself fresh and will concentrate on lino.

I have read a bit about it just lately and the fundamental skill seems to be drawing so I should be okay with a little experience. One of the things I came across is a video of an artist by the name of Bill Fick showing the entire process from surface preparation to finished proof. I thoroughly recommend watching it. As a film it has a nice rhythm in its own right and it makes the process crystal clear.

http://billfick.com/2011/02/07/anatomy-of-a-linocut/

No comments:

Post a Comment