Tuesday 7 May 2013

Last Post for the Bluebells

This will be my final "bluebell watch" post this year. Right now they are at their absolute best; they'll stay this way for a little and then just fade away while ferns grow up around them. The other reason for shifting my attention is that the first ducklings have appeared on the river.

Anyway, one last picture to try and convince you to get out in the woods.


Next we have a quick and dirty stitched but un-cropped panorama. The raw material is right but the result needs refining but you can see very little at screen resolutions. I uploaded it at a fair size so click on it to see it as big as your window will allow. This is one of my first 360ยบ shots and it helps illustrate the point I was making in my drawing post. The exposure is tolerable everywhere, but I have chosen carefully which area was the most important and made sure that was exposed perfectly. The very deep shadows caused by slight under-exposure everywhere else do two things; they give a sense of being deep in the woods and they help highlight the area which is correctly exposed giving the picture a structure over and above that of the actual trees. It helps shift the photo away from the magpie-like gathering of pretty pictures and towards an art-like conversation with the scene. The detail below is not the prettiest part of the scene but was chosen to show one of the compromised areas - there is still enough detail for digital trickery if I want it as the compromise was very carefully chosen indeed. If ever I can afford to have it printed, the finished photograph would be 10" tall and over 10.5' long.  Thinking about it, thats about the right size for where the adverts are inside tube trains... Hmmm. The Underground is keen on getting culture into the tubes, they commission poems. I wonder...

Back to the real world... If the ends were butted against each other they would match up and form a seamless circle of about 40" diameter (assuming I've remembered the value of pi correctly). I haven't come up with a proper use for them yet but I like the idea of mounting panoramas in a circle then hanging them from the ceiling at eye level so the viewer can stand inside as a miniature tribute to the way that panoramas like Dodwell's were originally displayed in rotundas.



No comments:

Post a Comment