Tuesday 23 July 2013

Dark

It was full moon a day or two ago and the sky was hazy but cloudless. I've been waiting for this so stumbled out across the fields.

Last full moon there was patchy cloud to soften the world but this time, with no clouds to help, the world was harsh, strange and simple.



By midnight the only colour in the sky was from distant towns and the motorway.

The quality isn't great in these pictures as I was using the camera as a sketchbook rather than taking photographs for their own sake - you can't even draw when its that dark. I was more interested in the level of darkness I could see, the remnants of colour I could see and recording the exact amount of missing detail so the camera was howling about the amount of light I was letting it see which is why there's so much noise. I've been kind to you and made everything lighter than the files I'll be working from otherwise you wouldn't see a thing unless you turned out the lights.

You can see why midnight is sometimes called the witching hour. While I was walking I saw the way this one bare tree clawed at the moon. It set me thinking about the old moonraker story - a fool lived in a village and saw the reflection of the moon in a pond and tried to fish it out using a rake. Old myths and stories still live in the landscape - all you have to do is look.

No comments:

Post a Comment