Saturday 20 July 2013

Exhibiting, confidence and a return to normality

As of now, life can get back to normal. I've just delivered the paintings for the exhibition I'm taking part in. The gallery owner has taken 9 oils and my linocuts which I am delighted about. Negotiations are complete and prices agreed.

In the run up to crunch days like this, my confidence comes and goes but I needn't have worried; although my work is different to everything else there it doesn't look out of place.

An artist low on confidence is a pitiful being; if there are a few days in a row when I don't make anything my confidence drops anyway as I become less involved in the paintings and all this week has been more about exhibition preparation than anything else. I have a rule now: on the bleaker days I can't talk to potential clients or galleries and I can't post here to make sure I don't undermine myself. The curious thing is that as my work becomes stronger my confidence doesn't necessarily follow. If I'm especially excited about my current project, older work seems to lose its shine. All it took to make everything right was seeing the work in a different location; the fact that the gallery owner obviously likes my work and made the same choices I would have done helps give me more faith in my judgement as well.

Anyway, come along from Thursday and you can judge whether my renewed confidence is justified for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment