Saturday 20 July 2013

Galerie Cartazini Biennial Award

I think I may have stumbled across one of the oddest art contests ever.

"The 'Cartazini Award' began in 1999 and was initially awarded posthumously, with the award being donated to related organizations and charities. From 2003 it was awarded to living, established artists. In 2007 it was awarded on the basis of a limited competition - open only to a pre-selected list of artists. The Award is an open competition - open to all artists and FREE to enter. It is being held again in 2013."

The prize is €20,000. Previous winners include - posthumously - Jean-Michel Basquiat. I saw a retrospective of his I think at the Serpentine and couldn't see what the fuss was about; maybe I'll have another look now that I'm older - but I digress.

The reason I describe it as odd is the selection process and brief. The full details are in this pdf but the key points are: 
  • The first cut down to 100 artists is random - all you do is send one email before the end of this month
  • If you're one of the 100 you then send a link to one piece of work presented how you wish somewhere on the internet along with an essay addressing the question
    In no more than 500 words, please tell us what we want from the Cartazini Biennial Award” - we being the jury if I've read it right.
  • Thereafter it becomes a lot more conventional, involving more works of art, information about the artist and eventually face to face interviews
Stage 2 is a little mind-boggling really. It is, to a degree, reading the jury's mind. There may be clues I haven't found (I haven't looked yet) but really the main clues about what they want are the previous winners and the new selection process.

I don't yet consider my work to be of a standard to win major international awards, but since its free I'll probably enter on the off chance of getting to pit my wits against that essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment