Monday 15 April 2013

Canaletto: Eton College

I increasingly find my practice is pushing me to revisit artists I ignored when I was younger and was filled with youth's desire for novelty and revolution. Anything between the earliest days of the Renaissance and the latter part of the nineteenth century was too conservative for me. I'm pleased to say I've grown up a little in recent years and today I commence a painting which has made me look again at Canaletto.



This is his painting of Eton College, which hangs in the National Gallery in London. It is far from being his best work - I chose it as it is only a few miles from here and the view is essentially unchanged. Here to Eton and back is a pleasant day long walk along the riverbank or cruise in a pleasure boat. In fact, its very tempting, maybe later in the week...

I need a clean and luminous yet totally understated and placid sky and no-one did that better. I'm examining close ups and reading to learn what I can, but when the wind stops gusting really I need to cycle into London and get up close and personal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment